Thursday, February 20, 2014

Cleaning a Microsuede Couch!

I honestly did not realize how dirty my couch was until I cleaned it! I was a little skeptical about this, but had to try something, and am sooo happy to say IT WORKED! If it makes you feel more comfortable, I would encourage you to try a test area somewhere on your couch and let it dry. You will need: Rubbing Alcohol, Soft Sponges, a Spray Bottle, and a cleaning brush. You can get all of these things at the dollar store for about a dollar each!! 
First, add the alcohol to the bottle (DO NOT ADD WATER AT ANY TIME WHEN DOING THIS! Water can ruin your couch and doesn't dry very quickly.)Spray the area you are cleaning liberally. (I did it a cushion at a time, and then let it dry- it gets a little stinky. Don't worry, when it dries you won't smell a thing!) Then, rub wet area around in a circular motion (or however you want really) with the sponge. When your sponge gets dirty, toss it and grab a new one. I went through 3 or 4 sponges, and 2 bottles of alcohol. After the area dries, use the dry and clean brush to fluff it up and make it look nice. (This is step is optional). 
Some areas of my couch like the edges and seams needed a second going-over. Also, if you do a part of the cushion, you will have to do the whole thing. Once you clean it, the dirty parts are very noticeable! Good luck! 

23 comments:

  1. I just did this and it worked phenomenally! Thank you so much for this post. I couldn't find any other site to tell me how to clean my used (new to me) coach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I'm so glad it worked for you, Beth!

      Delete
    2. Gm I want to know wht all do you need to clean the furniture.I wnted to clean my furniture.

      Delete
    3. I want to clean as soon as possible please tell me wht all I need.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I was just wanting to clarify the steps. :) Is it 1) spray alcohol 2) let it dry (this is the step I am unsure of) 3) sponge 4) dry 5) optional fluffing ? I am looking forward to trying this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need to let it dry! Just spray, rub, dry!

      Delete
  3. Do it wet - rub the wet area with the sponge until it is dirty and then toss

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much for this, i tried it as well and it worked wonders!! posting it on my blog as well with a link to your site !

    ReplyDelete
  5. any idea if this would work on a non-microsuede couch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know, but it wouldn't hurt to try. It won't ruin your couch. Let me know if you do try it!

      Delete
  6. I have a microsuede couch as well. I will give you the best way to clean it and actually be really clean. Remove the cover even though it says do not remove. Turn in inside out and wash it in cold water on the delicate cycle with woolite. Let it air dry. Then place it back on the sofa. It may seem a little difficult at the beginning but do not worry it will fit perfectly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I do but just remember to re Scotchguard it after, I just use a waterproof spray for suede shoes. Might try this idea though for the main frame part

      Delete
  7. Hey great post. I have written something similar on the topic here: http://cleaningday.co.uk/sofa-cleaning-tips

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there a specific concentration of the isopropyl alcohol you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I use a white rag? I can't find a white sponge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it matters what color! I used multi-colored sponges!

      Delete
  10. Thanks so much for posting this! I got up and grabbed the alcohol and a white terry cloth, didn't have any sponges, and tried it on our old recliner. It works great!!! Finally, something that really gets that dirt out.

    ReplyDelete

People that love me: